Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Finally getting somewhere

Finally I'm getting somewhere with my garden. My fencing is keeping my basset our the garden so I can really get cracking. Today I did a lot in the beds at the back. I sprayed for cut worm and ants (I don't care much for going organic I know these homemade things don't kill the pests and I will be damned if my hard work gets eaten!! Anyway) put fertilizer and then I dug up the ground a bit and added some compost then I watered it all in.

I discovered that one of my cucumbers I had planted outside was still there, a bit trampled on but it seems to be doing better after a good watering. So my soil is ready for my plants. 

I checked up on my other veggies that I have in large pots in our pool area. And they too are making a good recovery. My gardening year has really started out roughly. But finally nothing is eating them and they seem to be doing well.
I have some carrots growing in a pot and I am so impressed at how well they have grown. I decided to pull one up to see how they looked and was pleasantly surprised when a tiny carrot appeared. (It was really crunchy and tasty too!) 

I planted 9 coli flowers of which only 2 survived but the one is finally making a coli flower yay! 
This is the one I'm most proud of. 

I even finally have a small strawberry finally growing. These plants we got from cuttings of a friends plant. This was the first time I had used cutting and of course most of it died.

And then another thing is my red onions they are finally starting to make little onions too. I read that you can grow onions during winter. But it turns out not just any variety can. So have a look at the different varieties an your needs before you plant. In these containers I also have lettuce and celery but they are still o the fence they will either die or flourish, I'm hoping the latter of course.

My cucumbers inside (the pot one and spare one) have finally made their first true leaf. I finally read a place that have a better detail of how and when to transplant your seedlings. If you started them with a grow light then you need to harden them to sunlight for at least a week. But if you started them in a sunny window you just need to acclimatize then for a day or two. And the best time to transplant your seedling is once they have made two true leaves. This is true for almost all vegetables, fruits and even flowers.

In my herb garden inside my cone flowers have sprouted finally! 
As you can see my seeds are doing very well I their seed box. I open it once a day for a few hours so they can get some direct sunlight. 

No comments:

Post a Comment